Shelter Location AssessmentThe following assessment may help you in your underground shelter placement decision.
Download a printer-friendly version of this assessment.
- How high is your water table?
- What type of soil do you have in your location (sandy, clay, rocky, loamy)?
- How well does your soil drain (drains well, does not drain well)?
- Are there large rocks, shale or other obstacles?
- Do you have perma-frost?
- Is the location on a hill (top, middle, bottom)?
- How close to the proximity to your home, do you plan to place your shelter?
- Do you want an entrance into your home, basement or garage?
- Do you need an entrance that is more than 48” in diameter?
- Will your home or outbuilding be constructed at the same time as your shelter?
- Can your landscaping easily be disturbed?
- Do you have a sprinkler system?
- How densely forested is your area (light, medium, heavy?
- Where are your utilities accessed?
- Is there room to leave the overburden (leftover soil and rock), or must it be hauled and stored at another location?
- Where, in proximity to your home, do you plan to place your shelter (front, side, back, under driveway, etc.)?
- Can a crane and large truck easily access this spot?
If you would like us to evaluate the answers to this assessment, please email it to us.